Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Artists that lift my soul...



Last week, Monday, February 15, Ryan and myself were fortunate enough to attend Paul Cardall's Celebration of Life Concert. We discovered Paul's music about two years ago and immediately fell in love with his work. At that time we were preparing for Samantha's fourth open heart surgery (valve replacement). Unknowingly at the same time Paul was about to begin suffering from Congestive Heart failure and would need a heart transplant.

We were unaware of his health condition or his connection with CHD. We only knew he was an amazing pianist and his music soothes our souls and lets peace find you even during the darkest of hours. While I was pregnant with Madilyn I had seen on Good Things Utah, that his friends were doing a benefit concert (Living for Eden) for Paul to help relieve some medical costs for this "starving" artist. I then learned he was facing some serious medical issues but I was still unaware that it was his heart ( I guess I missed the interview) that was the problem.


About two weeks before Valentine's Day this year Ryan decided to look up his blog and see how his health and music was going. This is when we discovered that he had been recovering from his HEART TRANSPLANT!! He is a CHD survivor. Again we fell in love and had an immediate connection and I had to know everything. Funny how when your world is rocked by something it is suddenly the greatest and most important cause in all of the world. Looking at his blog I realized he was deeply submerged in the CHD world here in SLC and many families have been following his blog and in turn him, their's. Well I have fallen head over heels into the CHD world and seem to be obsessed with these families and their children and their fights....and their blogs.

I have always heard that you seem to find things just as you need them. Well I have discovered this little CHD blogging world and have gained testimony, faith, hope, "friends", love, compassion, empathy and the list goes on and on. Most of these blogs were started years ago when their children were first diagnosed with CHD and many of these beautiful children have returned to heaven and are now the Angel's of the CHD world (my BIGGEST fear). I find myself getting so involved with these amazing stories, that I am sitting at the computer bauling and hoping for so much more time with Samantha. Like I said I hope this is just an incredible blessing with no strings attached but I keep worrying that I have stumbled upon these blogs because I will need them...OK I also worry a lot too!! Anyway this has been weighing heavy on my mind and I just wanted to get it off my chest, so to speak.

Samantha is doing great and I have no reason to worry but I guess that is what a Mom does. Well, because she is doing so wonderful is why I was thrilled to be attending Paul Cardall's Concert and Celebrating Life...his, Samantha's, mine, ours...life in general. Mine has been pretty amazing lately and I think I have been taking it for granted.

This concert was amazing and inspirational. I could have sat there enveloped in a feeling of peace forever. Anyone that has not discovered Paul should really take a listen, he is WONDERFUL. At the concert "we" were introduced to Mindy Gledhill, a friend of Paul's and a new favorite of mine.
~Mindy Gledhill

We were also reintroduced to an old favorite, Peter Breinholt. I found some great pictures and wanted to capture our wonderful night. Also one of the funnest parts of the concert was when Peter B. asked us to be old school with new school technology...we all opened our cell phones and made beautiful twinkling lights.I also just found out that Paul Cardall want's to make this a yearly event and has dedicated himself to doing another Life Celebration in 2011...I can't wait. I am sure we have a new family tradition and a wonderful way to celebrate Valentines, CHD Awareness week and LIFE...OUR LIFE!!

P.S. If you want to take a listen to either Paul or Mindy I have added some of their music to my play list down below...take a listen and enjoy. I know I do!

No comments: